Friday 7 March 2008

Actions Speak Louder than Words

As an eco-friendly person, tears and anger flow over my conciousness when I walk about in nature or even public spaces and see people throwing thier garbage onto the sidewalk or other public spaces. Whats worse is nobody ever says anything. How hard is it to act on your words? If you don't see a garbage can or a place to dispose of your waste tuck it away in your pocket until you reach an area where that object can be disposed of.
The worse part about being eco-friendly is that some of the laws created by the health and saftey organizations do not allow buisnesses to supply bins or ashtrays in certain areas. For me its just common sense. So the government who claims to push ecological issues, in fact isn't doing anything to guide humanity to logical statements; either about the enviroment or the upkeep of our surroundings. I guess its what one might call a catch-22.
On March the 7th I started and finsihed picking up cigerette butts thrown onto a green in front my college library. I, myself, am a smoker. I was not happy to repeatedly pass the area and see hundreds of cigerette butts laying everywhere on the grass, so I stopped complaining and cleaned it up. Out of about 2000 students only three other people stopped to help me clean up the mess others had contributed to. Many thanks to Oliver Stubbs (non-smoker), Gillie Shilson (non-smoker), and Erica Evripidou (smoker).

No comments: